After my team members, Danny Polonsky, Drew Geckler and I spent a long time researching and sifting through the sea of used Toyotas and Civics, We stumbled upon a beauty. A 1988 Subaru Justy. Here, and only here, is when our Genius Hour project was decided. We were going to flip cars and try and turn a profit starting from scratch in almost every aspect. Danny and I being the only members that have slight knowledge of how cars work, drove to Oakland one afternoon and purchased the car which arrived a few hours later on the back of a tow truck with a locked wheel and no keys. Now, the fun begins. The next thing we need to do is go over the entire car and get a basic diagnosis (since the gentlemen we bought it from had no idea) of what we need to work on/buy.
During Tobin’s three day absence, genius hour became the main task of the Helpdesk team. The three days allowed us to put full focus onto our projects. The first day was occupied by 3D printing a 19/50th rounded, scale model of our loop. This model also allowed us to confirm previous counts and measurements. We miscounted the total number of magnets previously, and we now need at least 139, not 137.
Day two was used to continue research. We looked into material acquisition and attempted to figure out how to forge the superconductor. Futurescience has been an incredibly useful resource to our project. From it, we have figured out most of what we need to do, we just need to do the work and obtain the materials.
The third day of Tobin's absence, Jocelyn and Drew were needed to update the PFC website and fix info on the homepage, so my progress on genius hour that day was majorly stunted. Garrett was also occupied, so Richard continued the research by himself.
These materials will need to be heated to around 950°C for eighteen to twenty four hours. The end product will be a superconductor, that when coated in liquid nitrogen, should levitate above the magnetic track. In addition to this, we have created a ~19:50 scale model of our proposed design to aid in visualization. It has prevented us from making a counting error and the visualization has helped us narrow down the materials we will use for the base. If our current progress continues, we will remain ahead of schedule and soon have a built track.
According to our timeline we have until the 20th of April to fully design the track layout, build the base for the track, and obtain some of the other materials that are needed for this project. For track construction, we worked on building built the base and outlined the area we intend to place the magnets. Most of the track is going to be made out of wood, with the exception of the piece of acrylic that is going to hold the magnets. This is the final design we chose, mostly due to the cost of a complete acrylic construction. We purchased the BCC4 magnets from K & J Magnetics. Unfortunately we purchased the wrong dimension magnets first, but corrected it based off the model we made in inventor.
The next step in making our superconductor track is to send the specifications for the acrylic circle to TAP Plastics so they can cut it for us. The specifications will also include all of the magnet cutouts. After assembling all of the pieces together, we will be on our final, most difficult step; making the actual superconductor. We will wait until our next blog to go into more detail about the superconductor and the building process. Overall, we have made fairly good progress and the project looks to be successful so far.
During the last quarter we worked on a variety of different things and helped teachers with various tasks. Some personal accomplishments/things I've worked on this quarter include finishing building a drone from last year and filming shots of the school for video club.
Also, we were tasked with creating a screen cast tutorial for PD Day in order to help teachers understand Google applications more easily.
We also did an in depth review of an app for educational purposes. This was combining skills we have with screen casting, editing and also the general tech skill. Here you can see the video and in depth review of the app. "Recap helps foster curiosity and discussion in the classroom, by allowing teachers to post questions that students answer using video responses."
We had to take a test about teens online and how social media is effecting people today. The assignment was to get 100%. Unfortunately, though, if you decide to retake the assessment, be sure to open a new page otherwise you will end up getting the same score.